Setting up OpenBD on Centos with support for virtual hosts

I needed to set up a development platform that could serve different dev projects on separate subdomains with several of them using openBD to handle .CFM templates. My chosen platform is Centos 5.5 using the Apache 2.2 web server.

I first tried doing this over a year ago and spent quite a while reading through the various documentation provided by the openBD community but never managed to get it to work. Recently my hosting company (Vivio Technologies) changed their pricing and suggested that I switch from BlueDragon Server JX to OpenBD so I decided to have another go setting up my dev platform so I can test the CFML apps I have running there with openBD before making the switch on the production server.

Since my last attempt the installation process has been made a lot easier due to the OpenBD installer packages created by Jordan Michaels.

I started by installing a fresh VM with Centos 5.5, configuring a couple of subdomains as virtual hosts and creating their respective document root folders under /www. Then, by just running the installer (openbd-1.3-pl0-linux-installer.bin) and accepting all of the default options, I was able to get openBD to successfully serve its demo pages which are contained in the Tomcat webapps/ROOT folder by browsing <CentosVM IP address>/demo/cfdump.cfm.

OpenBD demo page <cfdump>

I also got the openBD administrator by browsing <CentosVM IP address>:8888/bluedragon/administrator/index.cfm

openBD administrator

The next stage, getting virtual hosts was not quite so straightforward. There are some really good instructions on the OpenBD Wiki. The salient point here is that the server.xml file in the tomcat’s conf folder needs to have entries made for each virtual host in much the same way as the httpd.conf file does. But on my first attempt at doing this, something went wrong and I kept getting ‘Service Temporarily Unavailable’ errors from the browser when trying to browse a CFM page from a virtual host. I ended up rolling back my VM to a previous snapshot and reinstalling openBD. This time I re-added the virtual host to the server.xml file and it worked. Now, finally after over a year of trying I have a working dev server that uses OpenBD to parse CFM files and I can get on with the next steps….testing my CFML apps and then deploying them to an OpenBD production server and in the process save myself $10 a month for the BlueDragon Server JX license fee. :)

Update: I wrote this shell script that automates the addition of new virtual hosts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>