The default installation of Joomla 1.5 is fully locked down to make it as secure as possible in its inital installed form.
This is great from a server security viewpoint but doesn’t make developing a new site very easy since even basic things like uploading extensions can fail due to this secure configuration.
Assuming that you already have both the JoomFish and JEvents components installed, do the following to ensure that JEvents displays all elements such as buttons and labels with their correct translations when using JoomFish to control the frontend language of your site.
Having played around a little bit with the Joomla! online demo I got quite interested in it, thinking that I could save myself a lot of time with it. After all, building a content-management system from scratch can take a long time even when the site is quite simple.
Joomla! appears to be a very well thought out open-source solution and I have a couple of clients at the moment who will be benefitting from it I reckon.
I unpacked the zip on my local machine and it extracted over 1700 separate files! Needless to say, uploading those files via FTP took hours, event though the size of the original joomla zip file that I downloaded was less than 3MB. I left it overnight and came back to find that this morning it had finished but with several errors. Not wanting to go through the whole process again I decided to upload the original zip file to my coldfusion server and unpack it there.
If you have ColdFusion hosting that also supports PHP and MySQL and would like to use Joomla then maybe you could benefit from my experience.
This is how I did it: Continue reading